Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chapter 19

Claire raised an eyebrow as she bit into her french fry, her nose wrinkling. “Um, eiw.” she said to nobody in particular, dropping the fry and taking a sip of her coke.

Jon glanced over with curiosity, “What is it baby? “ he asked while taking a bite of his burger, which by all accounts was cooked to perfection.

Lily frowned as she gazed down at her salad, “This isn’t Italian dressing ? “ She placed a tip of her finger into the white chunky dressing then crinkled her nose, “ Ugh Bleu Cheese, who the hell eats bleu cheese certainly not me. “

Richie’s brow furrowed as he watched both girls’ faces, then turned to his own food. His fries were steaming hot and his chicken sandwich looked to be the same. In a flash of realization he let out a bark of laughter, “Oh Lordy, you two pissed off the waitress big time!” he guffawed.

Claire looked up at him, “You’re shitting me! No fair!” she exclaimed frustratedly, taking a bite of her sandwich and finding that it was cold as well. “Dammit..” she swore again.

Jon reached over to her food, “You don’t mind do you ? “ he lightly touched her food and it was ice cold. He arched an eyebrow. “ Damn , what did you two do ? “ he slightly teased knowing full well what probably happened.

Lily tossed an evil glare to both men , “We didn’t do anything other than sit here with you . “ She replied, her voice coated with anger. Her hormones kicked up a notch because of uneatable food.

Richie pushed back his chair and stood, his full 6ft height towering over the restaurant, “Excuse moi, Mademoiselle?” he called out, looking around for the waitress. She literally jumped as she spun around on the other side of the room and slowly made her way towards the table. Richie sat, grinning, “Who wants to say something?” he asked nonchalantly.

Lily glanced up, willing herself to remain calm. “ This isn’t what I ordered, its bleu cheese I ordered Italian and my sandwich is not done. “ she removed the bun and split open the fish to show the raw fish. “ I am pregnant and this wouldn’t not be good for me much less anyone else. Her food is cold, Shall I go on ? “

Both Richie and Claire dissolved into giggles as the little woman chewed the waitress out, it was quite a sight. The waitress looked like she wanted the Earth to swallow her up, no questions asked. She grabbed both plates, mumbled an apology and all but ran back to the kitchen.

“Holy hell, girlfriend!!” Claire exclaimed, reaching across the table to offer Lily a high five.

Richie wrapped an arm around Lily, “That’s my girl,” he said proudly.

“Told you I was hungry , don’t mess with me and my food. “ Lily grinned as she returned her friend’s high five.

“Damn if you haven’t gotten yourself a spitfire there Dean. “ Jon chuckled, “ She handled it better than you or I  could. “

The stubbornness Lily had still shone, while though she heard him she didn’t respond or even bother to look Jon’s way.   She just cuddled up a bit closer to Richie and took a sip of her drink.

Claire let a giggle slip but quickly stopped as she reached under the table and took Jon’s hand. She didn’t dare say anything about Lily’s grudge-holding, but she did feel a little bad for Jon who was really making an effort. “Wonder if my fries will actually be hot this time? Anyone wanna make bets?” she asked as she spotted the waitress coming their way, plates in hand.

Jon let out a deep frustrated sigh,  “Lily , I’m sorry . Are you ever gonna forgive me ? “ he asked hopefully .

Lily stared at the napkin , then looked directly into his eyes . “ I’m not sure I can, You had no business telling him . If and that is a BIG if  I hadn’t then I have no right to judge you but you never gave me the time  to come to terms with this . I was in shock.. So no Jon I’m not sure if I can. “ she answered with all honesty.

Richie shot his brother a ‘I’d help but I really can’t’ look before tightening his grasp around Lily and taking a sip of his soda. He felt for his friend, really, but it was all up to Lily.

Jon gazed at his friend then back to Lily, “I’m sorry. I just didn’t think you would not from the way Claire had said you were acting.  So I felt Richie needed to know. “

Lily’s eyes grew dark as she  fought back the anger that was building within her, “ I was in shock! Wouldn’t you be if out of the blue your world is turned upside down. “ Her voice quivered for a moment then she continued. “ But oh no not you Mr I gotta fix everything right now , never happens to you does it ? “

Claire raised her eyebrows as the words came out of Lily’s mouth, harsh and cruel and full of hurt. She winced as Jon’s grip on her hand tightened but said nothing, eating her freshly hot fries in silence.

Lily stood up, tears welling in her eyes . “ Excuse me I have to go to the restroom . “ then darted off to the bathroom, hormones were running wild and it confused her. She had never even with Daniel gotten this emotional , all this was so foreign to her .

Richie shot to his feet and followed his girl, stopping short when the ladies’ room door swung shut in his face. He looked around, took a deep breath and went in anyway. Thankfully the room looked empty- only one stall door was shut, and he knew who was in it. He knocked softly, “Baby? You alright?”

Lily sniffed, grabbed a sheet of toilet paper then wiped her eyes.  “ I dunno , what’s wrong with me? Wait what are you doing in here? “ She slowly opened the door to find Richie all six foot of him standing right in the middle of the ladies restroom.

Richie shrugged, “Taking care of you. Baby, nothing is wrong with you, you’re angry, and that’s fine.” he stepped forward and pulled her into a hug, “What else is bothering you, other than just bein’ mad at Kidd?”

“I never say such things to anyone, and I am so-- I don’t know , one moment I wanna cry next I wanna throw something.  Is this normal I mean I must sound so stupid, being my age and not knowing what to expect . “

“Well the doc said somethin’ about mood swings, darlin’,” Richie reminded her, “don't you worry your pretty head about not knowing, ‘cause I don’t know either, remember? We’re gonna do this together, you and me.”

She leaned back , searching his eyes for assurance. “ You do really mean it don’t you ? “

He met her gaze, his eyes full of promise, “Yeah baby, I really mean it.”

She smiled then on her tip toes leaned in to kiss him , “ Thank you for everything. “

Just then an older woman walked in , letting out a piercing scream and darted out the door in a mad rush.

Lily laughed harder than she had ever laughed,  “ I think we better leave before we get kicked out and I am so starved. “

Richie guffawed, “That’s probably a good idea!” he took Lily’s hand and they went back to their table, where Jon and Claire sat waiting, worried looks on both of their faces. “You lovebirds wanna get outta here?” he asked.

Lily glanced up at him strangely, “But we just got our order fixed, We haven't gotten the chance to eat it yet. "

Richie looked around at the stares they were receiving, including from the waitress from her post. “Yeah, but this place is crampin’ my style,” he chuckled, “I bet we could find something better,” he winked.

Jon glanced around, “ What did you do Dean? But you know I think you’re right the service here sucks and I will be calling their corporate office in the morning. “ He stood , reached his hand out for Claire , then dug in his pocket threw a 20 dollar bill on the table . “That should cover the bill. “

Claire took her man’s hand and smiled at the people watching as the foursome made their way out of the restaurant, “You really gonna call corporate?” she asked incredulously, “You don’t think that’s a little much?”

“No I don’t , I expect when I go into a restaurant or any place of business with my friends or girlfriend for them to receive the same treatment as I do . “ He stated matter of factly, his words directed to the waitress.

Richie chuckled, “Claire Fitzpatrick, meet Jon Bon Jovi, His Royal Highness, Governor of New Jersey.”

2 comments:

  1. LOL, like he's gonna go into politics... that would be a pay cut! LOL I love how they have such humor....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny can't wait for the next chapter. And I'm drooling over here over that profile picture of yours samborajovigirl!

    ReplyDelete