Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chapter 1

- One year later -

Claire burst into her apartment dramatically, tossing her bag somewhere near its hook and flopping down on the couch, sighing. It was a Saturday, and she’d had to go into her office for an emergency session for one of her girls who was apparently having a meltdown. She rubbed her eyes and wondered why she had gotten interested in psychology in the first place - nothing was more draining than listening to sad, depressed little girls cry all day. She had wanted to help them, like she had needed help and someone to talk to at that age. Hell, she still needed someone to talk to.


Lily glanced at the clock “Damn its 4pm already . “ she muttered with a resounding groan. She was supposed to have been off today but their had been a mix up with a clients flight and hotel package and she spent all morning and into the afternoon trying to fix the fiasco.  Ultimately having to give the client a discount before they were satisfied , wondering why she chose this career for herself. Originally it had been because she loved to travel but sometimes that was even a pain anymore. checking out deals , staying at hotels to rate their service and meetings with executives was all taking its toll. Where did the fun go ?

She knew what she needed her weekly get together with her best friend , a night of wine, pizza and crazy stupid romantic movies.  Standing and stretching her stiff muscles , she grabbed her cell and pressed speed dial .

Claire dug her vibrating phone out of her pocket and answered on the second ring, “Oh thank God you’ve called, I need you Lily, neeeeeed you!”

“Great minds think alike “ Lily chuckled “ Ready for our date “ she teased “ You bring the wine and I’ll order the pizza . What movie shall we make fun of tonight ? “

Claire thought for a moment, “I need a hot guy movie, Lily. Stupid yet so sexy. It’s one of those nights,” she finally replied.

‘Um that’s half the movies we own C . just get your butt up here and we’ll have a drink or three and decide. Maybe we should have 2 bottles “ Lily laughed  “It’s been that kinda day “

“Psh,” Claire snorted in laughter, “it’s been that kind of week!” She stood up and shuffled to the kitchen, grabbing the bottles of wine she had set on the counter earlier, “I’ll be right up,” she replied, and she headed out the door without even putting shoes on.

Lily hung up with Claire and pressed speed dial again for their favorite pizza joint . while waiting for them to pick up , she sauntered over to the door and unlocked it  . “Yes  a large double cheese with extra sausage please and an order of cheesy bread-sticks.  Okay yes thank you “ she hung up just as Claire walked in the door . “Heya hun  . Thank god its Saturday huh ? “

Claire smacked her forehead, “It’s Saturday? Oh I wouldn’t have known. I’ve been working my ass off all day,” she said as she set the wine down and seated herself on a bar-stool. “You ordered bread-sticks, right?” she added hopefully.

She rolled her eyes “ Don’t I know it Kelly screwed up again and I was on the damned phone with a very irritate client today off and on for 8 hours til I had to give him a discount that - well lets just say I just got screwed with no enjoyment.  And yes I ordered bread-sticks “ she plopped down next to Claire . “ Not sure about you but I am needing a getaway . Before I say fuck it and close up shop “

Claire sighed, “When I was growing up, I wanted to escape to a beach town, and now look at me, wanting a vacation away from here,” she replied. Then she sat up excitedly, “Ohmigosh, we should go on a trip together!

Lily’s eyes brightened with excitement “ We should! “ she jumped down from the bar stool and dashed over to her laptop and booted it up .  “Where can we go? Where would you like to go I have some flyer miles that need used up . “

“Away, that’s all I need,” Claire replied, padding over and standing behind Lily, reading what was on the screen, scanning the list of available cities. “Ooh,” she gasped, “Have you ever seen New York?” she asked excitedly.

“Yes a multitude of times but never had the chance just to enjoy it . Always  for work though work had me checking out places still isn’t the same as going as a tourist.. We could hit Broadway always wanted to see a musical . Do you like musicals? “ Lily asked as she scrolled through the endless possibilities that lay before them.

“Almost as much as I love, well, yes, I love musicals,” Claire finished, she was so excited she could hardly think, “Oh, what was that one, someone mentioned it to me, it opens in a couple of weeks,” she racked her brain trying to remember the title, “Nashville? No, Memphis! Yes! That was it, it’s getting rave reviews,” she gushed excitedly.

“Sounds interesting . Lets check it out “ Lily replied equally excited . She pulled up the official website and read the bio “ When would you like to go and for how long can you get away for ? “ then she clicked on ticket information  “Not badly priced either “

“I need a couple weeks to let clients know I’ll be on vacation, but as for how long I can be gone it’s really up to me,” Claire stated as Lily clicked on the music track at the bottom of the page, “Ooh, I’m liking this already,” she added.

“Well it doesn’t open for another couple weeks so that's perfect. “ Lily clicked on order tickets and quickly placed an order for two orchestra tickets. Once she received the confirmation email , she moved on to a hotel reservations “ How’s the New York Marriott Marquis sound to you. Might as well go in style eh “ she winked at her friend “ Let me see if I can get a good deal “ dialing the number listed and after a few moments , she had the room booked “ A deluxe suite is ours for a week “

An hour later everything was set for their impromptu vacation , though her credit card just took a beating even with the discounts she had received New York wasn’t a  cheap vacation . Lily walked over to the counter, opened the wine and pour two glasses  “New York here we come . I was thinking we might have to hit some of the stores while we’re there too . “

Claire laughed, “Well as I’m sure your credit card is about maxed out by now, I’ll handle food and shopping,” she offered, finally opening the box of pizza that had arrived in the midst of choosing a flight.

“Hey we only live once but its a deal “ Lily joined in her laughter already feeling one hundred percent better than she had. She reached for a piece of pizza, and before she took a bite “ Hell maybe Claire we will meet the men of our dreams in the city that never sleeps “

Claire smirked, “You watch too many chick flicks, girly,” she replied, winking, “but hell, I’ll drink to getting laid by a hottie, I’d be okay with that, how about you?” she joked.

“Amen to that girlfriend , you know how long its been since I been with a real man “ Lily answered with a bitter tone. She knew she shouldn’t feel this way but couldn’t help that it still nagged at her .

“We’ll find you a man,” Claire answered, winking, “a real, big manly man, if ya catch my drift,” she added giggling, before she sipped her wine.

‘A tall dark and handsome man “ Lily grinned devilishly as she finished off her glass and poured another . “And you someone that will take your breath away “

“Mmm,” Claire purred, imagining the possibilities, “with a great ass. You know how I love a man with a fabulous tush,” she finished, grabbing another slice of pizza.

“Oh yes a great tush is definitely a must but also they must know how to work it if you know what I mean “ Lily waggled her eyebrows and her eyes twinkled with naughtiness .

“Shake that moneymaker!!” Claire exclaimed, bursting into a fit of giggles and already feeling the effects of the wine.

Lily took a big gulp of her glass of wine then replied saucily “ Oh hun I mean the package in front . Someone that will take you to the heavens and back again “

Claire smiled dreamily, “I could use a good, toe-curling, high heavens night,” she sighed.

“You know what’s sad C ? I gotta a confession to make “ Lily hiccuped “ I faked it for eleven years “

“I don’t blame ya hun,” Claire replied, smirking, “I saw your wedding photos, he wasn’t exactly a stud-muffin,” she said as she poured more wine for both of them. “So,” she added, taking a sip, “In New York, we’re gonna find you a man to make you scream so loud everyone in Times Square will look up and say ‘oh hell, now that was an orgasm’.”

“I sure the hell hope so . Its sad when the shower head gives you more pleasure than your husband but I guess when I think about it I wasn’t the right sex “ Lily replied dejectedly as she flipped on the TV . Pressing the buttons on the remote til it landed on Vh1  “Now there’s a man I wouldn’t throw out of my bed for eating crackers “ Her eyes gazed intently at the guitarist as he played his solo “ Damn if he  can do that with a guitar can you imagine what he could do in bed ?

”I think I had the singer’s poster on my wall in high school,” Claire said giggling, “What ever happened to them? They were by far the least annoying hair band,” she asked.

“ Actually they were pretty good . I think they are one that's still around “ Lily answered “Definitely beat out some of the stuff back then. At least you could understand them when they sang. “

Claire kept her eyes on the singer bouncing around the stage, “Huh, wonder what they look like now. I don’t pay much attention to celeb tabloids, they’re probably fat and gray,” she said, sighing. “Too bad, they were hotties,” she added, giggling.

“I could google them “ Lily replied “ Na don’t wanna ruin our fantasy’s. Anyways they’re probably married or so hung up on themselves they wouldn’t even consider girls like us “

Claire yawned, leaning back into the couch cushions. “I’m not sure rockstars go for therapists,” she laughed, “Not that I would ever date one. I can see why they never get married, I wouldn’t be able to stick with one either. So...” she thought about it, “cocky.”

“They be too afraid you would try and psychoanalyse them. “ Lily snorted “ Yea I can’t imagine from the rumors I heard they are far from faithful. “ she paused to think .Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad though“Oh well its nice to dream. I have to say they are better looking than who we were gonna watch tonight on dvd “

Claire smiled, “Uh, yeah. Hey, I said I needed a stupid hot guy night,” she reminded Lily, “this’ll do just fine.” She yawned again.

‘That you did C “ Lily smiled then  glanced at the clock “ Hell its 2am where does the time go? “

Following Lily’s gaze, she sighed, sitting up but still watching the TV. “Bon Jovi land, apparently,” she laughed, “I’m gonna head downstairs I think.” She stood up and looked around, remembering that she didn’t bring anything up, and both bottles of wine were long gone. “Alrighty then,” she said, smiling, “talk to you tomorrow babe,” she said, shuffling towards the door.

Lily followed her to the door “Catcha later. Maybe we’ll have some killer dreams tonight  “she winked. Once Claire was out the door , she shut it then stumbled through her living room , flicked off the TV and headed off to bed.

4 comments:

  1. Making progress now... Between Memphis, and the comments about the guitarist and the singer, I'm wondering who will be making appearances in this one. Can't wait to see what New York brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! It's getting better & better,girls!The only thing's that i cant focuse on doing my homeworks now LMAO Not after part with Time Square & moneymaker... I wish I could go to NY for a trip like that. No matter where,but with a friend like that I could go everywhere! What elsce should i write? Cant wait for next chapter :) Great job!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Memphis....openning night....mmmmmmmm the memories.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start. Wondering which of the Jovi guys are gonna be figuring in this. But I bet they'll all be there for the premiere of Memphis! And as for them being old fat and grey.... hehe, wait for the shock =P

    Well done guys, can't wait to read more of it.

    ReplyDelete