Monday, November 29, 2010

Chapter 17

Claire smiled as she took a seat in one of the audience chairs near the stage in the SNL studio. It was mid-morning, and she had just arrived with Jon, who was scheduled for rehearsal with the band. She watched Jon chat causally with a few cast members as he waited for the rest of the guys to show up, and she got comfy, knowing this could take a while. She was definitely excited though to see her man in action.

The last few days she had spent with Jon had been full of new experiences for her, and she had learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes stuff that he was involved in, both with Bon Jovi and his charity work. He’d also been quite the charmer, taking her out to see parts of New York City that she had missed on the last trip, and of course they’d made some memories at home too.

She sighed, glancing around and wondering when Lily was going to show up with Richie, if at all. She was nervous as to how that would play out, and wasn’t sure herself if she even wanted to talk to her friend.

Jon sauntered over to Claire after a few moments of talking with the cast. He glanced at his watch the rest of the guys should be arriving soon.  He noticed her soulful look and wondered where her mind had travelled off too. Lily, I bet he muttered to himself. In the few days they spent together neither of them had mentioned Lily and he wondered what was going to happen when Richie arrived with her.

He walked up quietly beside her, sliding his arm around her waist. “ Penny for your thoughts babe? “ he murmured in her ear.

Claire rested her head on Jon’s shoulder, “Just wondering.. what’s gonna happen if Lily did end up coming with Richie.”

Jon sighed “ Richie said she was at least when I talked to him last night . I think she probably has calmed down by now. “ he had hoped so anyway.

She nodded, “Yeah maybe. I guess we’ll just see.” She nodded towards the door as David, Hugh, Bobby and Tico strolled in, “You go work, don’t worry ‘bout me, babe.”

He flashed her a smile. “We got time . Besides can’t work til Dean gets here. Let me introduce you to the others while we wait. “ He grasped her hand and led her  to where the guys were standing.

David grinned as he cast a long glance over the girl who was walking with his best friend. “Was wondering if you were ever gonna introduce us or keep us in the dark. “ he teased.

Jon smirked. “ David , Teek, Hugh ,this is Claire . Claire this is David ,Tico ,Hugh and Bobby. They are the rest of Bon Jovi. “

Claire chuckled, then shook each man’s hand, “Tico I remember seeing at Memphis, and of course David wrote the music for Memphis, fabulous job by the way,” she grinned, “and Hugh, Bobby it’s nice to meet you too.”

“Oh yes you’re the girl , Jon’s speaking non stop of. “ David teased “Too bad I didn’t catcha after the show. So you liked it eh? “

Claire nodded and Tico grinned, “Good to see ya again, I wondered if I would or not after those boys made idiots of themselves at the show,” he chortled.

Claire laughed, winking at Jon, “Yeah he was kind of a giddy dork, wasn’t he? I guess I have a thing for goofballs..”

Jon rolled his eyes. “We didn’t make asses out of ourselves or she wouldn’t be standing here. “ he shot back good naturedly.

“Maybe if she felt sorry for you . “ David joked. “So where is Dean? I know he is late most of the time but this is even later for him. Thought he would  come with you ? “

Jon paused for a moment , debating exactly how much to tell him. “He is coming in from Charleston.”

Tico’s eyebrow shot up as Bobby and Hugh smirked and sauntered off to set up their equipment, “Oh, shackin’ up with his lady?” he joked.

“Yea , you’ll be meeting her too. “ He glanced at his watch. “ Pretty soon, I think. “

Claire took a deep breath as Jon spoke and she glanced up at the door to see Richie stroll in, followed closely by Lily. “Alrighty, the full ensemble has arrived,” she winked, smiling half-heartedly, “I’m gonna go sit down so you can work.” She turned and walked across the stage and stepped down, taking her seat again and placing her hands in her lap.

Jon let out an exasperated breath as he watched Claire walk away, “ Heya Rich, see you finally made it. “

David leaned in to whisper. “Something going on we should know about? “

“Not my story to tell bro , sorry “ Jon answered quietly.

Richie held Lily’s hand tightly as he gently nudged her towards the stage, “C’mon, I'll introduce ya to the rest of the knuckleheads,” he said softly. “Sorry Bossman, flight was delayed. We just came straight from the airport. Lily darlin’, this is David and Tico, and over there are Bobby and Hughie. You’ve officially met all of Bon Jovi,” he winked.

“Hi nice to meet you. “ Lily replied in a soft voice , holding out her hand to shake their hands. While her eyes darted over to Claire then quickly back to the men that stood in front of her.

Richie saw the quick glance towards Claire but said nothing as he watched each of his buddies shake Lily’s hand. “You wanna find a seat while we get to work baby?” he offered.

“Sure. “ Lily answered giving him a quick peck on the cheek and strolled over to the seats , settling in one furthest away from Claire.

Jon groaned inwardly. “ I take it she is still angry . “

Richie watched with concern then turned back to Jon, lowering his voice as David and Tico took the hint and strolled off to their posts, “Uh yeah you could say that..” he sighed, “but I think I’ve just about got her convinced that I wanna be there for her,” he added.

Jon arched an eyebrow. “Just about convinced. Jesus !  Richie, what does she want you to do marry her? “

Richie opened his mouth then closed it, stealing another glance at Lily. “Hell no, she hasn’t even mentioned it. I don’t think it’s even crossed her mind. Me on the other hand though,” he smiled softly, “gears are turnin’, if ya know what I mean.”

Jon turned to face Richie. “You can’t be fuckin’ serious. “ he asked incredulously.  “ I mean I like LIly and I might be having feelings for Claire but don’t you think that’s jumpin’ in too fast? “

Richie shrugged, “Hey now, I just said gears were turning. Nothing final, nothing planned, just thinking. Chill Kidd, ok? Don’t worry.”

“You would really want to do this again ? So soon? “ Jon asked more calmly. “What made you start thinking of marriage? “

Richie shrugged again, “I dunno Kidd, it just maybe seems like the right thing to do. I mean, I got her knocked up, I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon, and I’m falling for her, Jon.”

Jon watched his friend for a moment then cocked his head towards Lily. “How she  feel about you? If she is skittish about you staying because of the baby what is she gonna think about you bringing this up.  God damnt I wish they would talk again.  “

Richie sighed, “That’s my problem, I’m not entirely sure how she feels. She’s been so busy with this pregnancy stuff, she hasn’t really said too much regarding how she feels about me.” He whipped around and shot a quick glance at the girls, who were staring at their own laps. “Jeez, I hope they do soon. Lily’s gonna need Claire soon, especially once we leave.”

Jon slowly walked over with Richie to their equipment . “ Hell if I know what to do. Claire though she had fun these last few days has been miserable. “He picked up his acoustic and slid the strap over his neck. “ She should be mad at me not her. “

Richie chuckled as he grabbed his own guitar, “Notice she didn’t even look at ya, Kidd, she’s mad at both of ya.”

Jon softly chuckled. “Yea I did feel a cold chill radiating from her. I’m sorry but I’d do it again. You had a right to know bro. “

Richie nodded, “Yeah I know. Thanks again, bud.” and with that he strummed his six-string and they began their first song.

1 comment:

  1. I'm annoyed we didn't get a Mile High Club on the plane with Jon & Claire! Sigh lol

    ReplyDelete